Haven’t received your W-2 yet? The IRS can help.

It’s tax time, and you need your Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, to file an accurate federal tax return. Your employer should have sent this to you by January 31. If you don’t get it by the end of February, check with your employer. Make sure they have your correct address.

If you still don’t get your Form W-2, you must still file on time. You can use Form 4852, Substitute for Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, instead of Form W-2. Estimate your wages and withholding on this form. You can use a pay stub or similar statement to help estimate the amounts.

When you finally receive your Form W-2 and discover that your estimate was off, you will have to correct your tax return by filing Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return. Keep in mind, your amended return can take up to 16 weeks to process.

Finally, if you tried to get your Form W-2 from your employer and you still don’t receive it by the end of February, you may call the IRS and we’ll send a letter to your employer.

You can visit the forms and publications web page on to view, download or print the tax forms you need.

Date: February 1, 2018